Earth Science Education Editor
Visionlearning (www.visionlearning.com), an online science education platform that provides free learning modules and assessment tools to teach the process of scientific discovery, is searching for an Earth Science Editor. Visionlearning creates and publishes free content for learning science. Our learning modules are peer-reviewed and targeted to early college learners. With funding from the National Science Foundation, the project is expanding, and at least 13 new modules will be written and published in Earth Science. Targeted content will be designed to support instruction that is aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) to better meet the needs of future teachers. The project is searching for a science editor to work with module authors in planning, writing, editing, and launching website content.
Duties and Responsibilities – each Editor will work with author(s):
- Provide guidelines to authors for preparing and submitting science modules
- Plan content modules in their discipline to meet the needs of introductory college science courses that serve future teachers and other students.
- Work with authors to outline, develop, and review modules for scientific accuracy, alignment with the NGSS, and readability.
- Work with authors and digital artists to develop data-rich graphics for modules.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for authors and digital artists in their discipline.
- Ensure authors are on schedule with tasks.
- Ensure content meets quality expectations and project guidelines.
- Manage the peer review process for all new content.
- Assist in uploading new material to the website.
- Participate in team meetings to formulate project and content goals.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree and demonstrated expertise in a subject in Earth Science.
- Experience authoring and/or reviewing content for use in teaching.
- Familiarity with the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- The ability to meet deadlines and manage authors.
- Knowledge of social/media production and communication
- Editors will be employed as independent contractors with compensation tied to module production, compensation is $1,100 per module edited and published.
- Please send a single pdf document that includes a one-page cover letter outlining your editing experience and interest, a curriculum vita/resume, and names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications will be reviewed in the order in which they are received. Submission deadline is November 26, 2021.
- Applications that are not submitted in the requested format may not be considered.